I’m very proud to have collaborated with my mate, Donnachadh McCarthy again, helping to put together the posters, flyers and social media materials for the National Funeral for the Unknown Cyclist, organised by Stop Killing Cyclists and supported by a broad coalition of campaign groups.
The event will honour and mark the deaths of:
- over a thousand cyclists killed on our roads in the last decade
- the thousands of cyclists killed by traffic pollution
- the hundreds of thousands of people who wanted to cycle but were afraid to, due to the lack of protected cycle lanes and who thus died from horrific lung & heart diseases, asthma, diabetes and a plethora of other diseases brought on by the sedentary, petrochemical lifestyle.
UK Gov. Plc has invested almost nothing on safer cycling but tens of £billions on ever more roads for the car-lobby. £billions more is given in annual tax-cuts to the toxic diesel/petrol lobby, which is accelerating the 6th Mass Extinction.
The excellent photograph in the poster captures the scale of Stop Killing Cyclists’ first mass die-in, at Tfl headquarters, 5 years ago. 1500 people came together to protest, after 6 people were killed while cycling in one month.
This year’s National Funeral for the Unknown Cyclist hopes to be the largest ever Die-In in UK history, to ensure the Chancer of Death, Phillip Hammond, the incumbent PM, Jeremy Corbyn and his incumbent Shadow Chancellor, John McDonnell hear two clear demands for the Autumn budget:
£3 Billion per year investment in cycling
A reversal of tax cuts on toxic diesel and petrol
Donnachadh explained how they had arrived at the £3 Billion per year figure based on doubling the Dutch model, which invests the equivalent of £30 per person per year on cycling. The UK needs to catch up with 50 years of failure to invest in safer cycling.
More Dutch Cycling = Safer Cycling + Less Pollution + Cleaner Air
The second demand, a reversal of the year on year tax-cuts on toxic fuel should be a no-brainer, given the calamitous state of our collapsing climate. If we are to survive the 6th Mass Extinction, we must create a cleaner, safer world. Electric vehicles alone aren’t going to cut it, especially if the electricity which powers them is still produced by burning toxic fossil fuels and distributed across an ancient, inefficient power grid. Electric vehicles still have a massive embedded carbon footprint.
The UK, and the world must fully divest from fossil fuels as Ireland has done and properly invest in safe cycling infrastructure.
Righteous Rage to Peaceful Action.
Channel your anger at all these injustices into peaceful direct action and demand better from UK Gov. Plc.
If you’re not able to attend, please share this event with your networks.
- ALL Ann Narkeh Media’s stuff is offered to the internet for FREE, and now WITHOUT ADVERTISING! SUBSCRIBE to get notifications of NEW THINGS.
- If you LIKE it, or think it’s useful, please SHARE it.
- IF YOU’RE ABLE, please consider making a contribution.
The Extinction Symbol represents extinction. It is quite important to raise awareness of the 6th Mass Extinction, particularly as corporate power invests so much pretending that it isn’t really happening…